Saturday, December 22, 2012

Glucose Tolerance Test

      I had my glucose tolerance test done on Wednesday, December 19th. This time around was a great deal more difficult then I remember it being with my son. This time I had fasted from 10pm on the 18th until noon on the 19th. Because I had gone so long with nothing in my stomach, the Glucola they gave me to drink did not want to say down. Also, with my son I had my choice of the lemon lime drink or the orange one. The first time around I chose the orange and it tasted a lot like an orange soda, minus the bubbles. I drank it down with no issues and before I knew it the test was over. This time however, they did not give me a choice. The lemon lime was the only flavor they offered and it was given to me lukewarm. Only a few sips in and I was gagging. Knowing that I only had 5 minuets to get it down or I would have to come back and do it all over again made me a bit nervous. I did not want to get sick so I asked for an alcohol swab. For some reason the smell keeps you from actually getting sick. It was a little trick I learned while laying on the table during my c-section for my son. Thankfully I was able to get the entire bottle down and despite it having been 7 minuets instead of 5, i was given the all clear. Now it was just a matter of keeping it down for the next hour until they could draw my blood. 

     I knew if I had to just sit and stair out the window in the waiting room, I would end up getting sick. I had to move around and be somewhere other than the hot confines of the hospital. Thankfully the nurse was very accommodating and allowed us to go for a ride until it was time to come back for our blood draw. My husband and I ended up driving around town with the windows down and just talking about the upcoming holiday. Thankfully the time went buy quickly and I was able to go in for the blood work. 

    Now to those of you with great veins that they are able to find every time with no issues, you I have a little sour spot in my soul for. I'm sorry, I try not to, but I do. Almost every needle stick I get is like a game of hide and seek. I try to hide under the table while the nurse tries to wiggle that darn little needle all through my arm trying to find the vein. Ah, please just take it out and try again, don't go searching for it! Anyway, after a few tires, they finally got the blood they needed. 

     Yah, time to celebrate one more test crossed off the list. Yahoo! Even better, this one was two in one! Glucose and platelet count for the Lovenox. Knowing that our blood work was done for at least a month or so, I was in the mood to celebrate. However the party was short lived. The next day my doctor's office called to let me know that I failed the tolerance test. I was told that I would have to go back in and drink two of those nasty drinks and have my blood drawn every hour for 4 hours! I explained to the doctor that I knew there was no way I would be able to do it. I felt so bad but I knew there would never be a way of me keeping two of those bottles down. I havent' been able to tolerate eating anything sweet during this pregnancy and the idea of two of those bottles made me want to cry. After some talking it over, the doctor decided to just send me over to the Diabetic and Endocrinologist Center. Yah more needles I get to stab myself with daily. 

   Thankfully I was told that they strongly believe that I will be able to control my gestational diabetes with diet and exercise. No insulin YAHOO! Now I started monitoring myself on the 19th and so far   my highest sugar level has been 114 and my lowest 70. Now I am not an expert on this by any means, but don't these numbers seem very un diabetic to you? So now I am hoping that a mistake was made and that after I return to the clinic on January 10th, they will tell me everything is perfect and I can stop testing my blood 4 times a day. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment