Friday, March 9, 2012

Ready, Set, Coitis.

Jeff and I had to go back to the doctor again on Thursday to find out if our follicle is mature enough to try to conceive. After a quick ultrasound, the doctor determined that my follicle had not grown as much as she would have liked, which could mean one of two things.
 1. The egg might not be mature enough to ovulate.
 2. There is no actual egg in the follicle. 
She said that it was fine to go ahead and try to see if we could conceive on our own, but she didn't seem very hopeful. Might I add that there is nothing more awkward then having to sit in front of a doctor that barely speaks the same language as she tells you she has "decided your coitis dates" What happened to good old fashioned romance and too much wine? 
Anyway, if this cycle does not result in a pregnancy, then we are going to move onto IVF. Because of my hormone levels being so horribly off, and the abnormal shape of my uitrus, she believes this will be the best chance for us to conceive a healthy baby.  She explained that I would go back to see her on March 30th and I would start my 20 days of hormone therapy. 20 DAYS!!! REALLY!!! Is that even normal?
When I got home I decided to do a little research on the IVF process since I obviously have no idea what it entails. I was shocked to learn that I might have to give myself up to seven different injections a day, depending on our course of treatment. For someone who is afraid of needles, this was not a high point. But I will do whatever it takes for us to have a healthy pregnancy and baby. I am still not sure as to the exact number of days that a normal cycle involves, but I am sure I will learn more about the process with more research. 
As for now, I will cross my fingers that something might happen on it's own this month. It really would be an ideal time to not only conceive but to deliver. If I am back home in the states still, at least Jeff could come home for Christmas break and hopefully be there for the birth of our second child.

No comments:

Post a Comment