Thursday, May 10, 2012

STOP or I'll shoot!!

    Having to give myself injections gives me that same warm fuzzy feeling that I attribute to spiders, snakes and dark basements.
The funny thing is, they don't even hurt. It's more so the mental barrier that I need to overcome. The human brain is designed to handle the "fight or flight" response, not the "I'm about to willing jab this sharp object into my skin and be Ok with" response. 
    I mean, it's not like I went to the doctor to pick up my medications and was shocked to see the bag full of needles given to me. I knew all along that injections are synonymous with IVF, and yet every time I dig out all the supplies needed to give my self and injection, I am faced with the same fear as the day before. 
    I do not like needles, in fact you could probably say I have a moderate sever fear of them. Somehow despite that, I have now managed to give myself a total of 10 of them! Yes, I have now given myself 10 injections, on my own, without any medical training. That is strange right?!?  One would think medical training would be necessary to impale one's body with a sharp object, but nope. All that is needed is a quick tutorial by a nurse that does not speak English and a prescription.
   So for those of you who are about to embark on the injection filled IVF journey, please remember that the majority of the injections will not hurt, especially with a well placed ice pack prior to the big event. The hardest thing you will most likely face is the mental block that you must overcome to impale yourself with each sharp needle.

2 comments:

  1. Oh the dreaded injections....

    I am still scared!There is something about sticking needles in your body! LOL! I know we can do it :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time took me so long! I was scared, not so much of the pain, but just the idea of sticking a needle into myself. Once you get past the mental block, it really is so simple. But remember the ice pack. I never felt a thing after using it.

    ReplyDelete