Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Twas the night before egg retrieval......

Twas the night before egg retrieval and all through the house,
not a person was stirring, not even the mouse.  
The pillows were stacked on the bed with great care,
in hopes that a drug induced sleep would soon take place there.

My husband and son were all snug in their beds,
 while visions of a new baby danced in their heads.  
With my husband in his boxers and I in my sweats, 
I had just settled my brain for a stress induced rest.

When next to the bed arose such a clatter,
 I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the nightstand I flew in a flash,
                               and threw down on the alarm clock with a great crash.


The sun barely risen through the window I see,
Gave the feeling of nervousness all throughout me. 
When what to my wondering eyes should finally focus on,
 but a cup full of coffee that I am not allowed a sip from.

 With my husband now ready with the keys to the van,
 I knew in a moment the day of egg retrieval was finally at hand.
 More rapid then eagles the nerves how they came, 
as I yelled out every curse word and called my husband every bad name.

  In the waiting room with time now standing still, 
 I am called back for more injection, oh what a thrill.
Into the small room where I'm then asked to dropped my pants,
feeling shaky and nervous, my skin crawling with ants.


Next I am asked to walk to the room in the back,
my husband being told to stay behind now looked as if he could attack. 
Next to me other women sat dressed in their robes of pink,
the only thing I wanted was to puke into the sink.
 
Soon came the nurse to bring me into the retrieval room,
and I began praying this will go quick and be over soon.
The doctor all smiles looked sunny and merry,
her nice green scrubs smelling quite sanitary. 

Soon came the needles and all of the pain, 
as I lay there crying and screaming in shame.
The nurses so reassuring gave a nod of her head,
not subsiding the pain or the feelings or dread.

She spoke barely a word as she went on with her work,
telling me to stop crying I wanted to call her a jerk. 
Finally it's over and I can go to recovery,
guessing with another women home many eggs their might be.  

Walking for the first time was not my idea of fun,
but finding out that we got 20 eggs felt like the lottery had been won! 
Two days I now wait by the phone with great anticipation, 
waiting to find out our day for re-implantation.

I hope you enjoyed my retrieval story,
I hope it wasn't to shocking or too gory. 
Just think of your eggs because oh what a sight,
Happy retrieval to all and to all a good night. 


By:Ryann Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment