Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Wednesday's child is full of eggs (At least we hope so)

Tomorrow is my egg retrieval and I am scared out of my mind! I never in my wildest dreams nightmares  imagined going through this completely awake! The past few days I have been looking up and watching as many egg retrieval vlogs on YouTube as I could find, but I think this only made it worse. I would say 90% of the ones I watched had wonderful experiences with their ER. They went in, was given medication to either completely put them under or put them into a twilight sleep.  They woke up with a little mild discomfort, never really feeling any significant pain. I was not able to find many vlogs where the women were awake, but the ones that I did watch did not have such happy stories to tell. They all said that they could feel each and every poke of the needle, every follicle being drained and every move the doctor made. They all said they screamed or cried in pain and begged for more medication. Two different women said that they had to stop the egg collection because she was in too much pain, resulting in only getting a small fraction of the follicles they had. 
I know that I have not come this far to give up now. I know that being in pain for a short time, if resulting in a healthy pregnancy, will have been completely worth it. Saying that now is still a lot easier then imagining myself actually doing it. I will not give in if I can help it. I want them to go after each and every follicle that is there. After all, I have endured more than a week of injections and medications to get to this point. I will not let that effort go to waste for a little pain.
I will update everyone as soon as I feel up to it and let you know what my experience was and how many eggs we were able to retrieve.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I can just imagine where you are. I am keeping you in my prayers and thoughts. Please update us to tell us how you are. Do you mind me asking why they are not putting you under?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am about to write a blog update, but wanted to let you know first. I am doing good tonight, really sore and crampy, but not too bad.
    My doctor explained that they do not use sedation because it leaves too much chance that the patient might move during the procedure. This could result in perforation of the uterus or bladder. They can not put a patient completely under sedation because they do not have the medical supplies needed in a full under sedation.
    Instead of going to a hospital for the operation, they do it in their office.

    ReplyDelete