Saturday, May 5, 2012

Meds Meds and more Meds

Today I went back to see my doctor to discuss our upcoming IVF schedule and to receive my medications. 
 Not knowing a lot anything on Korean policies when it comes to IVF and the number of embryos they transfer, I decided to try and get a little more insight with the help our our friend and interpreter. After waiting for a few moments for them talk everything over, it was explained to Jeff and I that normally only one embryo is transfer per IVF cycle. This scared me because during our IUI we had 4 healthy eggs and only conceived one unhealthy baby. I tried to convey my hesitation with the idea of only transferring one and having the same outcome as last time, but very quickly the doctor went on to tell us that if this round failed, we would hopefully have a few frozen embryos and we would simply try again. The idea of loss or not having a successful outcome does not seem to hold any emotional value, just dust yourself off and try try try again seems closer to their motto. 
After explaining, again that this will be our last chance at TTC here, she agreed to implant two. Out of curiosity sake I asked why they were normally so strict on the one embryo policy and the doctor explained that they use to implant two or even three embryos but many of their patients were choosing to abort the extra children and feeling that so many pregnancies were resulting in an unwanted number of babies, they limited the number to one, with a maximum of two.
It is so sad to think that anyone would go through this process after having difficulty getting pregnant on their own, only to abort the precious gifts given to them. I understand that many people might not be financially stable enough to care for three children at once, but in my opinion you should only accept transferring the number of embryos you are willing to accept responsibility in raising, even doubling that in the chance of natural twins.

5 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on that. My DW and I spoke about that and we immediately knew that whatever was inside was what we were taking! No there is no way we could abort just not even an option!

    Im glad they allowed you to transfer two!! Where are you buying your meds from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me so sad to know something like that could even happen, but I am very happy they will allow us to use two.
    We bought our meds right from out doctor's office, and the rest from the pharmacy in the same building. We paid 649$ US dollars for the Fillitropin that I inject every day and for the Ovidrel that I inject every other day. It was 24$ us dollars for the Metformin, Antibiotics for my DH and I, along with a medication so the antibiotic would not upset our stomach, and a 30 day supply of baby Aspirin.
    So far I have not found anyone who has used those same meds, so that makes me a bit nervous. Hopefully they work!!!
    When do you return to the doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We start in June! We go this week to find out what protocol we are going to be on! How exciting for both of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you!! I wish I could have the US experience where I had a clue as to what is going on, but I am excited to finally be doing this.
    Keep me updated, I am loving following your story! Your such a beautiful couple and I can not wait to see your beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment made me smile!! Thank you so much! We are both very excited and nervous at the same time. Everyone who goes through this puts SO much on the line. We can't wait to have that little bundle of joy! I love following your story as well :)

    ReplyDelete