Friday, June 29, 2012

Traveling home.

After a very long 29 hours of traveling, we finally made it safe and sound back in the US. Despite the long hours and very little sleep, the trip home was relatively smooth. I thought we were going to run into quite a bit of trouble on at least two of our flights after finding out that none of us were seated anywhere near each other, but thankfully the airlines and other passengers were very accommodating in moving seats around so that we were together.
The first plane that we ran into this problem was on our longest flight from Tokyo to Chicago where we were seated no where near each other. Because the flight was going to be over 11 hours, and I hate flying, I knew there was no way I could handle not having my family next to me. Once we arrived at the airport and asked to be moved, we learned that there were no more seats available together in coach, so to get us all together we ended up having to get moved up to business class. After landing I told Jeff that it was probably a good thing that we were not going back because after that, there was no way I could go back to coach on that long of a flight. 
The second flight that we were not seated together was the short ride from Philadelphia to Bangor. I could handle not being with Jeff, but the idea of having Tyson on the opposite end of the plane made me a bit upset. Because they had oversold the plane, they were really struggling to find a way for us to sit together. Finally the called the passenger sitting next to Tyson up to the counter. After a short wait, an older gentleman came up and we asked if he would be willing to switch seats so that I could sit with my son. He then stated that he had had the worst day of air traveling of his life and he was really not wanting to move. I told him that I understood completely and that I didn't want to make his day any worse. I did however ask if he would mind helping our son if he needed it. That since it was his fourth plane ride of the day and he was feeling a bit air sick, could he please help him remove the tap from the air sick bag if he became ill. Now I know deep down in his heart hearing this made he feel sorry for my little boy and he wanted to make sure that he was with his Mommy if he wasn't feeling well because as soon as asked for his help, he was delighted to move. Oh what a mother has to do to help our her child. 
After landing in Bangor and being greeted by lots of family, it was finally time for a good old fashion American meal before heading home. What could be more American than Olive Garden lol. I do have to say that it was so nice to look at a menu and not try to figure out what came with some sort of tentacles! 
After another hour or so ride home, we finally arrived back at our house. I was so happy to see my little home until I walked through the door! While abroad, we hired someone to come in and work on our house and I couldn't believe the mess left behind! Everything in every room is covered in a thick layer of construction dust and every room that has been worked in, now has it's belongings scattered throughout the entire house. With the amount of unpacking, cleaning and organizing that I have to do, it is probably going to take me the better part of 2 or 3 weeks to put my house back together. 
Dispite that, I am just so happy to finally be home, where I can walk around in my pj's and not worry about having to deal with anyone that I don't want to. Where family is around the corner and food comes in more variety, with less tentacles.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog post made me laugh! Im so glad you are all home safe and sound. I bet it already feels great to be home! Home sweet home! Now we know what that phrase means! I hate flying!!! I get such bad headaches and its sooo uncomfortable. Hopefully you recover nicely and hopefully the house isnt to much work!

    I can't imagine how excited you are for real food you may have to experience it again after being in Korea for 9 months!

    Okay now where is your beta results!?

    ReplyDelete